Dear Student (Uncensored)

Dear Student,

Stop being lazy. 

Life will not be life if you do not put work into it. Yes, work. School work. Work work. Volunteer work. Relationship work. All of it counts.  
 
I know I get mad—loud mad and quiet mad. I get mad that leaders of this country don’t encourage education anymore to you---middle and lower class. I get mad that politics drive so much in the classroom. I get mad that you are okay with barely getting by. I get mad at myself because I don’t know what else to do to make you see that THIS matters. I get mad at policy makers. I get mad at social media because they have ruined your beautiful minds. I get mad that your attention span is no more than a 7 second vine, 10 second snapchat, or 140 character tweet. I get mad because I care.
I get irritated that you think all I do Is look forward to grading your essays and projects on the weekend. While it may not be as exciting as your weekend life, I do have one, and your grammatically incorrect, lacking a thesis paper is not part of it----well, not all the time. And truth be told, your essays make me cry and question my life for multiple reasons.  It's exhausting because I can only help you as much as you will help yourself.
 
But.... 

Despite all of this, I love you and I care about you---both inside and outside of the classroom.  I want you to succeed in life. I want you to understand that education is life (and I don’t mean this as the hyperbole “ball is life”). I mean this in the way that knows without education you will work the rest of your life. Study for a career that you enjoy!! Study to do what what dream of doing! Don't settle. 

Know that my frustrations, while they are with you some days, it is because I care so much. And while I may say I want to quit and give up, know that I care too much to actually do it. 

Sincerely, 
Your tired, loving teacher 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Off The Weight & More

My Grandpa

Lovin' My Louisiana