A letter to parents on the first day of school

Dear Parents,

I know some of you thought this day would never come and that grocery bill is relieved it's here. 
Some of you dreaded this day. 
Some of you this is your first day of school as a parent.
Some of you are wishing you had just one more.
And some of you it's your last. 

We get it. We are going back to a routine, for that we are thankful. 
We know you are entrusting us with your lifeline. 
We know there will be good days and bad days. We know there will be long days. And we know that we will blink twice and it will be May. 
We never take for granted the gift you are giving us. Your most prized possession and we get to be part of the village. 

For the ones wishing you were buying school supplies one more time, do it. Because I promise you there's a child in every classroom wishing they had some new school supplies. 

For the ones wishing time away, you only get 12 first days of school. 

For the ones aching as they leave their little one that you brought home from the hospital yesterday, let those little wings spread and get ready for a whole new world. 

For the ones aching as they leave their big ones that are too annoyed by the emotions you're feeling, take the pictures, steal the kisses, embarrass them. They won't hate you forever, and they will thank you for it one day. 

School--sometimes it's a 4-letter word, but really it means family. Our classrooms are just an extension of our heart and home, and though we will never replace you, mom and dad, they will always be "my kids." 

So, as we begin the 2017-2018 school year, know that we are on this journey with you. And we cherish these moments more than you know. 

I will leave you with this teacher's prayer:

Lord, as the hustle and bustle of the school year kicks it up a notch and as data teams, PLCs, SLTs, scores, TAP, walk-throughs, observations, etc., make me want to pull my hair out, gently remind me why I am in the classroom. 
I am there for the kids. 
I am there to help mold these kids into better people. 
I am there to be your Salt and Light. 
Remind me of this, especially on the worst of days when my patience is gone; when my frustration with the powers at be overshadows my heart for these kids.
Remind me that I may be the only smile, encouraging word, or Bible they ever see. 
Remind me of the grace and mercy that You've shown me, so that I can extend the same to these students.
Open their minds and hearts to learning, and give me the wisdom to teach.
Open my mind and heart to learning, and lace my tongue with Your love, grace, and mercy.
Let my patience not grow weary and my eyes be kind.

Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

What I’m Loving Wednesday