Valentines Smalentines

I am sure everyone is posting some magical post about the Superbowl and the Snow and I'm sure they are including the phrase I've heard 100 times "Saints won the Superbowl AND we get snow...Hell really is freezing over!!" So forgive me for choosing another "lovely" topic....Valentine’s Day! It is Sunday this year. Feb 14, like it is every year when thousands of flowers are sent, false "I love you's" are said and OH don't let me forget those Valentine's Day proposals! (Sorry, no offense, if you were proposed to on said holiday, I am sure it was the most romantic cheeseless moment ever….. no really) I have never in my 25 years of walking this planet had an official significant other on this day, some of you might stop reading and say that’s why such the bitter tone; frankly I’m not sure of why this blog is sounding bitter unless it’s just my deep dislike for holiday boiling over into this.

As kids, Valentine’s Day meant a party with exponential amounts of pink and red and hearts and sweets and CAKE! Remember those little valentine’s you buy in a box and hand them out on party day! Some even had candy taped to theirs like some overachievers of Cupid’s little elves, mine never did! Sorry, but Barbie did not keep her figure by eating that snickers!!! As teenagers,(insert eye roll at yourself) the day meant the flavor or the month or maybe week was going to bring you a rose or carnation at school complete with an allergy irritating larger than life teddy bear for you to hold at night and pimple inducing chocolate. Nothing says I love you like THOSE three things!!

As adults, Valentine’s Day basically puts your “love” life on display. You either get the flowers or you don’t. You are either at home with Ben and Jerry or out with Ben or Jerry and in some cases you might be out with BOTH Ben and Jerry, your fabulously gay friends! In some years past, on this day I have received flowers from “just friends” and even pity flowers, that were announced as pity flowers….hahaha those my readers, are the WORST!! So, like I said, in my years I have never had an “official” significant other on this day, until this year. I was anxious to see how my feelings about the holiday might change this year, because that I have a boyfriend to share the day with…my findings?? Yeah, I still don’t like the holiday. I would rather be sent flowers on April 15 or June 21 than Feb 14. I don’t need Feb 14 to feel loved or to show love. Truth is, it is probably the day that I feel least loved. I guess its all the sugar and all those stupid “every kiss begins with Kay” commercials!! OK, I wouldn’t say I feel least loved on Feb 14 but I don’t feel anyMORE loved either. And as for having a boyfriend today? We said “Happy Valentine’s Day” and topped it off with the exchange of the traditional gifts. Do I love the card and the normal sized teddy bear he got me? Yes, because HE got it for me and I guarantee you that I would love it the same had he given it to me on May 17 or August 19!

I don’t know if there’s a point to rant or blog and I really didn’t know exactly where it was going when I began. Just like with most posts here, they are a journey in themselves. I guess if there were a point to be made it is this: While I am not claiming to be some expert on love, I know that love is not wrapped up in a box of chocolates or roses or teddy bears or lingerie. You can’t put a bow on love. Love happens everyday in the smallest details. Love is displayed every morning when you rise out of bed and you see that masterpiece He has painted. The best symbol of love I know is not some frilly heart or some shiny diamond but its on an Old Rugged Cross. Never let some commercialized naked angel with an arrow downplay what love truly is.


“Love is patient, love is kind, it is not envious. Love does not brag, it is not puffed up. It is not rude, it is not self-serving, it is not easily angered or resentful. It is not glad about injustice, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. “ --1 Cor 13:4



Now, since you read my rant with no complaints ;) I will leave you with some pictures!
Me in my FABULOUS Boots in the SNOW!!

SNOW




My best friend, literally from birth, had her first baby January 21 and I FINALLY got to meet him!!!!!
Benjamin and Aunt Face or FeFe and I LOOOOOOOOOOVE HIM!!!!

Lounging with the Babes

Soooo, I FINALLY get a picture of me and Greg not in our Saints attire and then we are THAT matchy matchy couple!! NOT ON PURPOSE I PROMISE!!! Hahahaha

My sister snapped this....and I really feel like this sums up our relationship!! He had just said SOMETHING to push one of my buttons and he just thinks he is oh so hilarious!!! And I obviously look very threatening with my "not so humored but want to laugh" look!


OK and since I did NOT blog about the Saints winning the Superbowl I will leave you with one last picture of the Saints Sistas!!!!


Until next time, dearies!!

Comments

Jodi said…
You know my take on the ol V-day. I hate it. And yes, I was proposed to on that wonderful day, and well, we all know how that turned out. My favorite color is Pink as you know, but this holiday makes me want to rip everything pink or red out of my life. I only went one year without a Valentine, and we won't speak of that year, but this year I had one, and I still hate the holiday. So, there. Call me bitter. I don't care.
I want some boots like yours. I loved the snow also.
And the pic of you and the baby...it looks like he's throwing up a deuce. Just sayin. Very gangsta.
TracyBlalock said…
I feel the exact same way about Valentines Day. I always have. It's so commercialized and over-rated. I personally don't like flowers any day of the year because they die. Now, chocolate everyday is the only way, really. What my signifiant other does for me EVERYday is what shows me his unconditional love for me. I don't need a card, flowers or any of that...just him...every day is enough. I'm glad you said it just how I feel it.
Amanda Trisler said…
I LOVE, LOVE Valentine's Day. It's always been my favorite holiday - even through my dark years of bad boyfriends and no boyfriends. I will agree that I want flowers, gifts, and loving deeds throughout the year but I like the loving and warm feelings that everyone shows during Valentine's Day. Love and romance has always be two of my favorite things. It allows people to go "all out" to show you their feelings for you.

Love the pics. Your boots are too cute!

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana