When Your Best Friends Get Married....

Weddings are always a joyous time. A time when no matter what your circumstance or relationship status you believe in love. Whether you are newly divorced, just broke up, always been single, fighting, loving or perfectly content when a wedding is in the present that Cinderella fairy tale love is truth. Don't lie, its ok to admit it, I will not tell a soul that you become that 5 year old little princess at the mention of a wedding!! A wedding brings hope. A hope that can soothe the most bitter hearts. A hope that there is a prince charming "out there" for everyone. That everyone has their soul mate and will have a happily ever after. A Hope ---for love. But then there's now...and the now is simply everyone is married or getting married and having babies and moving on with thier lives in a direction that you thought you would be on by now. For whatever reason, literally only God knows, your life...my life...is halted on that road...Somewhere there was a God-ordained detour. As you watch what seems like life passing you by as the I do's are said and the dang bouquet has been caught three times now and the pictures are snapped and dances danced, still that glimmer of hope shines through the darkest moments when you are alone.
I consider it an honor to be able to have been apart of so many wonderful weddings for such wonderful girls that God has blessed me with in my life. As the role of "Jane" from "27 Dresses" is played by myself in my life's movie, I embrace the fact that my girls can rely on me to be at their beckon call on their special day and do some of the oddest requests. When your best friend's get married, somehow, magically that hope I talked of overtakes everything else in your being...you sit back and truly enjoy the magic of the day and swallow every ounce of romance and odd tasks you are asked to do and bask in joy as you accomplish this. As a bridesmaid, photographer, baker, coordinator, florist, go-to person, decorator or most of all friend, you will skip class to scout out locations for the event; you will buy a pair of shoes that you know you will never wear again; you also buy the dress that you will never where again no matter how many times the iconic phrase is said "And the best part is you can really wear it again!!" ---really?? who are we kidding??; you will share a bed with a stranger so your girl can embrace a big bed by herself as a single woman for the last time; you will be the first arrive and the last to leave; you will use a tank of gas the day of running those last minute forgotten emergencies; you will have nerve pills on hand; you will also have church with your girl; you will hold a fan under her petticoat so everything stays cool eventhough you are sweating you hoo-ha off...literally; drive 1200 miles in less than 3 days; bond like you have never bonded before; you will reassure them; you will blot thier face and eyes; you will not cry and you will not make this about you; you will end up making a fool of yourself to ease her nerves; you will forfeit freshly washed hair to make sure everyone else and everything else is ready and in place; you will help shave and wax in places where the sun don't shine, honey child; you will stay up til 2am dipping oreo balls; you will get up at 7 am the day of the wedding that is at 6pm; you will be forced to rig something during the day so always have every type of pin on you:bobby pin, safety pin, push pin etc.; you will buy and download the wedding music on your phone at the last minute when the ipod disappears; you will wait to pay that last bill so you have a little extra cash for those emergencies that WILL happen; you do everything in your power to make your girl, the bride, feel like a princess while you are running around like a crazy person; you will be MaGyver with items in your purse and a magician with your hands;you will make sure she has a goodie basket of food waiting for her in the car; you will cherish that hug that lasts a few seconds as she is whisked away to her new life forever; you will have your moment this I promise you, when all is said and done and you are finally alone the tears will come and its ok.
Its a beautifully bittersweet moment in time to watch your best friend from birth say "I do" and embark on a new life. It's a breathtaking moment to watch your kindred spirit say "I do" to her highschool sweetheart. It's an unforgettable moment when your sister (from another mother) says "I do" to her Edward. Embrace the moment joyfully and revel in the hope that the inner five year old that lives deep inside of you has for her Cinderella story. Revel in the hope for love.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Aw...you are a wonderful friend! I love you! Keep that beautiful face held high!! God knows what he's doin!! And he's gunna blow ur mind when he's finished with you!! - love Amanda Jo
Laronda F. said…
Faith that is so sweet and all Sooooooo true. You are a terrific person and friend. And when your time comes just like 27 dresses they will all be lined up to help you celebrate your big day...
Anonymous said…
My sweet "baby-girl", your day is coming...the Lord has that prince charming that your Mom and I have been praying for since you were born. A man that will love and serve the Lord, first of all in his life. A man that will love you as Christ has loved the church, His bride. Just be patient and continue to pray. Don't look for him, the Lord will bring to you just as He brought you Mom to me. I wasn't looking but He allowed our paths to cross. I love you and am very proud of the young woman of God you've become, the precious daughter you are, and the wonderful friend that Ive seen you be through the years.
Anonymous said…
Oh Faith, you and I are kindred spirits. So much of this post reminds me of myself. I may be married but my situation on children is the same. Everyone of my friends either have children or are pregnant. Some of my friends have grown children and some of their own. The one thing in life that I've always wanted more than anything else hasn't happened... And I'm gonna be 37 this year. I have to put on a fake smile when someone says "you're not getting any younger" or "why haven't you had children yet" or my least favorite "don't obsess over it" They act like it's in my power when in fact I have NO power over the situation. All I can do is trust God because He always knows best. I can deal with what God chooses for my life I just wish people would back off. Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox... Faith you are so beautiful in every way and when you do have your special day I know you will have so many friends and family at your beckoning call to make sure everything is perfect and I pray that I'm blessed to be one of them. Love you!
Amanda T. said…
Love the post. And it is SOOOO true! All of it. Weddings are hopeful. I would choke up at every wedding I went to before I finally found my Colin wondering when my time was coming. I can relate but know that when you time does come (like we all know it will) all of this will not be for naught. I love you chickie!
Jessica Dubea said…
One thing is certain...all that devotion you lavished on others will come right back your way when it is your big day, and will make it even more spectacular than you could ever have imagined, because you will be so surrounded by people who adore you!

Great post Faith!!
Anonymous said…
One thing is certain...all that devotion you lavished on others will come right back your way when it is your big day, and it will be even more spectacular than you could ever have imagined, because you will be so surrounded by people who adore you!

Great post Faith!!
Jessica Dubea
TracyBlalock said…
I am speechless! My heart just aches for you, Faith! You are such an inspiration and desire all the greatness this life has to offer. Read Psalm 37:5-7. I have this posted on my computer at home, at work, in the car, in my billfold. It's what keeps me going. You must be patient and wait for HIM to act. The best love is found when you aren't looking for it. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

Big Girl in a Big City: Day Three, Night Four