Measure of a Life

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear.
525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In 525,600 minutes - how do you measure a year in the life?
How about love? How about love? How
about love? Measure in love.
Seasons of love.
525,600 minutes! 525,000 journeys to plan.


It’s been 525,600 minutes we have now lived without you. One year without you in our lives and it still doesn’t seem to be a reality. A year ago, we stood by your bedside as you said your goodbyes, your last I love you’s and took your last breath…you left this, your temporary home and went to be with the Lord. There’s a peace in knowing that you are not suffering anymore and that you are watching us from above; but it doesn’t make the pain any easier. Oh how I would give just about anything to sit in your living room that always had the distinct smell of coffee, brut and moth balls…and drink one more cup of coffee with you and tell you about my life these days. I would tell you how the Saints won the Superbowl, not that you were an avid football fan but I think even YOU could appreciate that miracle. I would tell you all about this boy in my life and how he really isn’t a boy but a man and its crazy! You would love him. He is 102% Cajun and we have many new adventures together and this journey is new for both of us. I would ask your advice…and I am pretty sure you, Greg and my dad would be like the three stooges together. I know God’s timing is perfect but Oh how I wish Greg could have met you. I would tell you all about Asher and how he would still your heart in a second!! OH I would also tell you that grandma has a crush on Mario Lopez…who knew?!?! I would also tell you that we are taking very good care of her and she takes very good care of us; always keeping us laughing!

Tonight, I drove by the hospital where you lived your last days, surrounded by your family. I had to keep myself from walking to room 408 to see if you were there…I know this probably sounds crazy, but it does not seem like a year has passed. Just yesterday I laid by your side watching your trembling hand hold one of your last cups of coffee…just yesterday you were here helping us make Christmas Eve candy…just yesterday you were putting eggplant in your gumbo for something new…just yesterday…..
But it wasn’t just yesterday….525,600 minutes have passed…changes have come and in my heart of hearts I know you know them and if your life could be measured by anything…it would be love…the way you served people everyday truly showed the love of Jesus…I know you are better off but still, I would like to have that cup of coffee….

I love you, grandpa, and miss you more today than I have in a year…..
See ya later alligator………



Comments

NRIGirl said…
Glad to stop by. Thank you for sharing your story.

Stay strong in the Lord, that's all it takes.

When you have a moment please join for some Coffee with Jesus!

~ NRIGirl
TracyBlalock said…
Faith, I completely and whole heartly understand and appreciate this post. I, too, miss my Papaw more today, than yesterday and way more than a year ago. Thanks for writing this.

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana