The Journey Continues...

So, I joined a new gym and this gym came with a family.

I was leery of this combination, but it is definitely growing on me. I know there are a lot of stigmas and negative connotations that come with the word “Crossfit.” While some of the memes are true and I can laugh at the lingo, while I use it, I am writing this post to give a new perspective on something I never saw myself doing.

This perspective comes from someone who has never been considered “sporty-spice,” “athletic,” or someone who just enjoyed working out. There was a stent of running, but I got bored. And if I am completely honest, I get bored with the whole scene. I’ve never been a skinny person, nor have I ever thought I would enjoy lifting---weights that is and on purpose, too! I mean, I don’t want to get bulky!

If you look back to previous posts, you will find my heart being poured about the struggle with body image, health, and weight. The struggle is real---and not just for me. Last year, my life changed---you can read about it here---but I---well, just like with most things, life got in the way---I lost focus—and I plateaued. I needed something—anything.

So, I joined a gym---okay, I joined Crossfit. (Insert your eye rolls and snarky remarks here.) ;)

In the last month, I have pushed myself harder than I ever have in my life---literally E V E R. I have found that I am a beast. I am indeed a badass, especially when I have a bar in my hands.

I love the relationship between the bar and me---the clinging tease while racking

And the triumphant thud of the unracking.

I love the hum as I puuuull across the finish line.

There’s nothing here, but me.

In this box, there’s only me---me and my goal to be better than I was yesterday.

Nothing else matters and it pushes me harder every day.

Those six lines---that’s why I Crossfit. It is not because I joined a cult, or drank some magic Kool-Aid. It is because I have found something that pushes me harder and to the end of myself in a new way. I am not bashing any other workout routine and I am not saying that it is Crossfit or the highway. What I am saying is that I am proud of myself for trying something so intimidating and so incredibly out of my comfort zone---and it turns out I am enjoying the person it is making me.

It is not just a physical change and challenge. It is a lot of mental battle. It is a lot of setting short term goals and reaching them. It is setting long term goals and busting your ass---yes, ass--- to reach them. It is looking at the Workout of the Day and telling it “I am going to own you. You will not defeat me.” It is pushing through when there’s 2 minutes left or 1 round left, and you “can’t go any more.” Because really, you can go more, and you do go more, and you not only defeat the W.O.D., but most importantly, you defeat the voice inside your head that screams “STOP!” “YOU CAN’T!” “I CAN’T” And that, my friend, is the best triumph of all—proving to that little bia that you CAN.

So, I am a month in and I can’t wait to see how this journey progresses.

Until Next Time Dearies---Be better than you were yesterday!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana