An Open Letter to my Students

Dear Student,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I seem on edge today. I'm sorry if I'm just not myself. It's not you, I promise. It's not even me.

You see, I'm tired. I'm tired of all the stuff you don't see.  I'm tired because I have been writing color coded lesson plans. I’m tired because I have been learning a new set of standards. I’m tired because I have been trying to analyze pre- and post-data as well as, triangulate data from previous tests. I’m tired because I have been completing IEPs. I’m tired because I'm  judged based on one lesson and one test. My entire worth as a teacher and everything we do and learn in this classroom comes down to one test. And, I am tired of you being judged based on one test.

While I was up late making sure I had everything in order for you today, it hit me... None of this actually makes me a better teacher. None of this actually helps me meet your needs. None of this really drives learning. None of this really matters. What would happen if I just stopped? 

There's a teacher shortage because of all the crap you don't see, and no one wants my job. What if I did just what I encourage you to do? What if I stood up for myself and for you and stopped the madness?
Yes, we will still learn and read and write and discuss---but it will truly be on your terms.

What if I threw out this curriculum guide of literature that is irrelevant and gave you stuff that pushes you to think beyond your own little world? What if we read things that inspired you to do? What if I made you write about the hard stuff?? What if our class discussions made you better people? What if I really listened to you? What if they really listened to you? What if I sat back and let you really lead the class, instead of the invisible driving force that drives it now? 

Education is not a “one size fits all” in any shape, form, or fashion. There's more to education than test scores and data and numbers.  The day policy makers realize this is the day true reform will happen to the education system. Teachers are not pro or against standards. We are pro-kids, pro-you, and we need to be trusted, as professionals, to do what is best for you, our kids. 

So, my dear child, I promise to see you and not a number in my classroom. I promise to meet you where you are, instead of where you should be. I promise to learn from you, as well as with you. I promise to care for you even when it's tough. I promise to laugh with you and even at myself. I promise that all of this is worth it. 

Your life is just beginning. Don't walk these halls defeated because of various factors. Please know that I am forever in your corner. But also, know that I expect your best just as you expect my best. 

Sincerely, 
Your Teacher 
(who probably cares too much)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana