Metaphorical Caves




We were able to shut it all out and enjoy nature, each other, and the Lord. We set up camp and immediately put on our backpacks and went down to the river. We remembered the song "Rolling River God " as we picked up rocks that were silky smooth---and I prayed the edges of my heart were working toward that. I remembered how 13-14 years ago when I was at this place how I thought I had my life figured out. And how I thought I would come back with my husband and kids in tow. But, I looked at the Rock and caressed its edges--I smiled and sat to bask in just how far He has brought me. 



We journeyed to Lost Valley--which according to the sign is neither lost nor a valley--but I would beg to differ. We saw amazing works of His hand. 

I felt so small and I loved it. I relished in knowing just how small I am in this world. We climbed through the first little cave that had a waterfall and light and I was able to stand up the whole way and hop from rock to rock. On the other side I looked back and smiled. I took a moment to look up and touch the grainy, sharp boulders I stood next to. 


Small.  

We continued on and we sat and marveled at Cobbs cave---I can pretty much envision God taking His hand and scooping it out. It's massive.  We climbed on big slippery rocks and watched Eden Falls. The rocky bluff above us cried out its praises to Him. We cooled ourselves in the mist and thanked the Lord for it. 
                                                



We climbed on up. Until we came to this sketchy opening and the top of the waterfall. 

I had a lot of deliberation. I had fear. 
"What if I slip? What if I break a leg? What if I bust my head open? Betty (my mom) wouldn't survive. How would they get me out of here?"

And then there was this pressure of these 4 strange people around me now (who we actually got to know a little bit). Watching. And I let them go ahead. And then I just jumped in. Literally, I jumped in the flowing, cold, ankle deep water because I was too scared to jump from boulder to boulder.

I made my way to the back. To the dark. To the close, rocky, cold quarters. The guys, after finally finding it, said "You have to go! You don't know what you're missing!!"

So we go. I go. I take a deep breath and get down low---lower---lower to where I feel like I'm spider man scaling a building. Except, I'm just me scaling this wet rocks in the dark with just enough light for me to barely see, but not enough for me to miss the pools of water with my feet and hands. 

Breathe. 

I remember thinking "Okay Lord. I know it's coming....I can feel that stirring. But right now, I just need you right here with me. And it better be worth it!!" 

So, I'm scaling rocks and I'm kind proud of myself. And then my butt would rub  the top and I'd have to shimy it loose and then I'd be humbled. (I no longer felt small.) The guy was at the end shining a flashlight while cheering us. And then, suddenly, there's a little more room to move. I can get on all fours---then I can stand up.  

And--I'm in this cave room. A literal cave room where this magnificent 200+ foot waterfall is gushing. And there's this forceful breeze. And it's breathtaking. And we stand in awe. And I want to show everyone. Except, there's only enough light from the flashlight for us to see it. Only we can bask in this majesty. Only we can enjoy this beauty---like its this mystery that we found. And I want to share it, but I can't. I can only take you there.

"Oh. It was worth it!" 


Shouldn't our faith be like that? Instead of anti-everything and opinions here and there. Shouldn't our faith scream to others "You don't know what you're missing!?" Shouldn't that make them want to try that dark scary cave---because what's on the other side---is breathtaking. What is on the other side is beautiful! Our faith---our relationship with Him---should scream to people "You don't know what you're missing!" 


 I have been through plenty of dark caves in my life, metaphorically speaking. But what got me through was my faith, and it is always my faith that gets me through. It is Him standing there in the dark with me, giving me just enough light to make me rely on Him. It is my faith in Him that gets me to the magnificent waterfall--metaphorically speaking. And in some aspects of my life, I am continually in a dark cave, but I know one day I will reach that cave room. And that doesn't mean that my life is terrible---because it is quite the opposite. He is continually faithful and my thirst for Him is never quenched. And the caves, believe it or not, bring me closer to Him.


Sometimes as Christians, we get so focused on us. We get so focused on our own struggles that we forget we may be "the only Bible some people ever read." I am not of the belief that God is limited by us, but I am of the belief that "He works everything for good for those who love Him." I am of the belief that He uses us, even when we are in our metaphorical caves. How humbling! How many times have I turned people off from the Grace, Mercy, and Love that gets me through every day because I was so focused on myself.

I came out of that literal cave with a deeper understanding--and yes, a metaphor that will stick with me forever. I just pray that I live life a new way---a way that screams "Oh, He [truly] is a good, good Father--Perfect in ALL of [His] ways." I pray that I constantly scream, even to myself, "It IS worth it!" 



I don't know if any of this heart rambling even makes sense, and maybe this is just for me. But, if I could take you to that cave and give you the experience I had, I would in a heartbeat!

Until next time, Dearies!!
P.S. Listen to the song tagged at the beginning!


Comments

BonnieStokes said…
2nd time to try to leave comment
Thanks for sharing, Faith. It surely brightened my day. You shared some breath-taking scenery of your special journey and let us glimpse a bit of your hidden heart's pieces along the way. Praise for His handiwork in the earth and in us just rose up from my own heart. Thanks for the tag along! Love you, Mrs. Bonnie

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana