A Christmas Night Ramble



It’s Christmas night. 
The magic of Christmas Eve has past. The wrapping paper in the trash. New toys and gadgets are scattered. The kids fast asleep from a busy, fun filled few days. My husband asleep holding our youngest baby. 
And me—well I’m awake not because I’m not exhausted, but because I just need a moment. 

The glow of the tree still lights the room. And I find that I consistently dread December 26. I’ve always hated December 26 because that meant Christmas was over. And there are 363 days until it’s back (because Christmas Eve is my favorite). 

I love Christmas. I always have. And I pray that I always will. Now, that I have kids I love it on a whole other level. My inner child comes out more and I try to make special memories for my family, especially my kids. 

“Memories not things.” I remind myself. 

There is a magic in the air at Christmas and I can’t deny it. I want to keep it alive for my kids all year round. Kind of how I tell them every year that I hope this is the best birthday ever. Every year should be the best birthday ever.  
I want them to soak it all up. I want them to give and see people—Really see people. I want them to know what is really important in life. 

I constantly wear myself out questioning if I’m doing enough to teach them? Am I doing enough to lead them? Do I show them love enough? Do I laugh enough? Do I show them enough? Do I talk to them enough? Do they know how much I care about them? Do they know how many times I stay up thinking about and praying for them? Do they know I love them? Even on Christmas night. 

I don’t want to dread the 26th. Instead, I want to bask in the magic of Christmas everyday. I want stay “merry and bright.” I want to live singing “Noel” every day. 

Christmas night. And all is quiet. It’s truly a “silent night.” 

Of all the gifts that were given and received, there was one that made me stop. 
My grandma gave my dad a framed picture of a picture she colored. I caught myself absolutely loving that gift more than anything that was store bought. 
There was my grandma, in all of her eccentric ways, gifting my dad a piece of her inner child. 


I don’t want the magic to end. 

But, what is the magic??
Service. Service to people. Giving to people. Being with people. Loving on people. 

“Let all that you do be done in love.” 1 Cor. 16:14 

It’s comfy pjs watching movies with the family. It’s home cooked food, although I cannot eat like this everyday. It’s giving to each other. It’s decorating cookies. It’s being present. It’s truly loving on one another. 

Our senses are heightened during the holiday season. We are more aware of people’s grief. We are more aware of people’s losses.  We visit with people. We are more aware of people. 

That’s where the magic is in Christmas. That’s the real magic. 
But, nothing says those things have to only happen during the “most wonderful time of the year.” 
Make them happen all throughout the year. Keep the magic alive. 
That’s my goal. 

“Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.” Romans 12:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

What I’m Loving Wednesday