Coloring is Cheaper Than Therapy

If you read my last post, or keep up with me on facebook you know that my family is going through a rough patch; however, God is faithful and His mercies are truly new every morning. I have been internally blogging and journaling when I can about this ride and I will share it with you in time. However, during all of this family time, an aunt brought this following "blog" back to my memory. I just found it and decided to go ahead and "cheat" here in the blogging world and post it. Maybe its just for my benefit but I do hope you gain something from these rambles....Until next time!!

COLORING IS CHEAPER THAN THERAPY:
Late Saturday night, while on a random trip to Walgreens I picked up a 16 pack of Crayola crayons and coloring book. Oddly, I found myself laughing at my excitement of my purchase. Sunday, I sat on my bed with Season 2 of Grey's Anatomy playing and I grabbed my favorite childhood past time. I sat and carefully picked my first bland and dead picture to bring to life. If you know me at all, you will know that of course it was one with flowers and butterflies. I thoughtfully selected the colors of my choice from new box of crayons. I colored, careful not to get out of the lines and of course outlining each detail in a darker shade. Then I lightly colored in each flower petal and butterfly wing. I thought about how we are all crayons in a box, waiting to be picked, for our turn to be used to bring a scene to life. I thought about how God uses each of us with our own unique color -- talents, gifts, personalities, locations --to bring scenes or people to life. He carefully chose each of us for a specific "scene", for a specific flower petal or leaf or butterfly wing to bring to life in this great Masterpiece for His beautiful Glory in the end.
I finished my fanciful picture to find that all the unique colors blended well for a beautifully alive picture. I flipped through to find a color by number. I turned the page thinking "I don't like being told what to color!" BUT, I stopped, here was this picture with order and instruction and I knew the end result would be beautiful because it was planned out by the creator. I looked at the color by number and began to line up my colors. I thought "Why can't life be as easy as a color-by-number? Or is it, that life is that easy when we be still and let God be God? But we too often get in the way and try to color the fours pink instead of green or the twos blue instead of yellow." When we don't follow the "guide" things get distorted. Our sun comes out green and our grass yellow. How many times have we taken back the crayon box and said "I don't like being told what to color!"? How many times have I colored the wrong number red or purple? How many times has the Creator had to take the mess I've made and correct my mistakes in His Masterpiece?

Comments

Flowers said…
colors colors and colors! it sure lightens up and kindle emotions. Nice blog on color therapy
I am so glad you posted this again. I remember reading it, and it was just as sweet the second time around. And yes, it IS cheaper than therapy. Now I want to run out and buy the 64 crayon box with the sharpener! (My mpom would never buy me the big box. Sad times. I love her anyway...) Thank you, Faith!
Jodi said…
That was beautiful! I too love coloring and I used to hide the "good" colors from the boys. I love how you turned that into something wonderful. You truly have a gift and you are an inspiration to alot of people, mostly me!
Unknown said…
You're SUCH a good writer. I'm so sorry about your grandfather, and I hope you know how our hearts ache for you. I pray all of God's peace and love to just wrap you up. Love you, Huz.

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

What I’m Loving Wednesday