My Grandpa




As I am sure many of you have read or heard, my grandfather passed away this week after a long hard fought battle over the years and especially this last month. One thing can be said for sure, my grandfather was a fighter with a will to live and one you never heard complain about any of his ailments. He always had a smile on his face and a content heart just to be with his loved ones. Through the past several weeks I have stopped and just watched as the hand of God has carried my family with His outpour of grace and mercy in some very unfortunate circumstances and times.

I sat next my fading grandfather as he caressed a picture of a better and younger era with his shaking frail hand, a time where health and time were on his side. A time where dreams were being sought and the future was bright. He stared at the picture and you could almost see the memories on his face as he was seeing them. I noticed his hand; a shaky frail hand that has done so much, built churches, houses, chalkboards and various other structures. A shaky frail hand that has molded and touched many lives throughout the years. I was overwhelmed with emotion as I realized these are the last few moments I will ever have with my grandpa.

We sat as a family, some whom I don't remember ever meeting in my younger years, and talked for hours of times passed. Memories were shared and bonds were made. Stories were told of yesterdays and bonds were braided for the future. One story my Uncle Robert told was of him, my grandpa, their brother Alton and lifelong friend, Jimmy Ray driving down the road one day and they got a flat tire. Now, these men have a very strong “talking gene” so when they got out to change the tire, they were all talking so much they changed the wrong tire!!! They were so stricken with the hilarity that some fell in the ditch laughing! I had never heard this story before but oh how precious it is to me.

I stood as my grandpa struggled to say to us his words one day. I crumbled as he grabbed my daddy’s hand and told him “Ricky, I love you. I couldn’t have asked for a better son. I am so proud of you and I love you.“; and then he reached for his face to hug him. I crumbled as my dad, a pillar of strength wept for his daddy. My heart aches so badly for my dad because I know his pain is exponentially more than mine. As one night came to a close, we all told my grandpa goodnight as he was in and out of sleep. His baby brother, my Uncle Robert, who is his best friend bent low to kiss him and then lingered to stare at those same hands as he whispered through a cracking voice “Oh my brother.” Now, if my uncle wanted to get my grandpa to smile in those last days he would say “Hey little brother!” (a cute little joke that now I cherish)
My Uncle Robert and My Grandpa: a sweet moment

My Dad and my Grandpa

When his time was drawing near all the family gathered, his breathing was short and labored and he had not been awake for days. His lifelong friend, Mr. Jimmy Ray came for a visit. When Mr. Jimmy Ray got in my grandpa’s ear and told him that he loved him and would always love him and cherish their friendship, with all my grandpa’s strength he opened his eyes. His friend made his exit and not fifteen minutes later as the family sang Amazing Grace my grandpa took his last breath here on earth but entered into a most glorious eternity with Jesus.

My uncle Robert gave me a bag of red fluffy hearts. He said he gives this to all the ladies that mean something to him, and he wants them to pass them out as sort of saying "Here's my heart"...I am giving one to my grandpa to hold for eternity. I know he is in heaven and he is no longer suffering. I know he is up there with my baby brother that I never got to know and I know they are way better off than I am but right now, my heart aches. My grandpa was a stable fixture in my family, he was just supposed to always be here; but I also know that God’s timing is everything and it was his time to go home. So, tomorrow we will bury his body but know that his spirit lives on in us…and this town…and that one day he will greet me with arms wide open in heaven. Tomorrow and the days to come we will celebrate his life.



I love you, Grandpa and miss you already!



I love you...see ya later, alligator!

Comments

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandfather. I think your mom and dad knew what they were doing when they named you, Faith. Your strength in Christ shines - even throught a computer screen. We Kenimers love our Normands, so please continue to call when we can do anything at all.
TracyBlalock said…
As I sit here reading this, Faith, I am brought to tears. How precious are those relationships of everlasting love. Your Grandpa was truly a remarkable man, even though I never met him. I know this by the impression he made on you. His life is certainly celebrated.
Shannon said…
why did i just cry... you know i dont cry.....
Unknown said…
Absolutely Beautiful. Prayed for you all day yesterday...love you!
Shanna said…
This was truly beautiful, Faith. Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana