Southern Women

*This is a paper I wrote for my Women Writing in War class last semester.*
            Independence does not always equal aloneness, but rather that one knows who one is, aside from another person or society’s ideals. Independence means charting one’s own destiny.   I come from a long line of independent, hardworking, and successful southern women, but the definition of success for a woman is still debated in southern culture. The first college graduate on my maternal side of my family was a female and ultimately, my mother. Before her, the women in my family were successful in the home and working outside of the home to help provide for the family. As times change, much can be said about the slow change of women’s success in the Southern culture.

            Sarah Morgan kept a diary during the Civil War and while her diary addresses slavery with ignorance, her words show the internal struggle of a woman in the south. Sarah was an insecure woman who felt stuck socially without a man to validate her. Sarah lived in a time when the first rung of the social ladder for a woman was a man. A husband was life and a link to society. The man’s role in society became the woman’s title, therefore making her existence the undertone to his true role. Sarah Morgan was trapped and dying for the affection from a man so that she may have purpose.

The feelings Morgan had on the pages of her diary are not far from the insecurity that creeps in on me sometimes. The idea that a man suddenly validates womanhood is still alive in the South. There is this uneducated mindset in the South that if a woman is not married and barefoot and pregnant by a certain age then she is defective. The struggle Sarah brings to life is not that different from today’s struggle for women and even more specifically, southern women. A dominant Southern mindset is that a man validates and is the cause a woman’s success. Southern women are in a waiting room until they are married. A woman’s success is therefore measured in marriage and childbirth, leaving the rest as lagniappe.

For Sarah and me, this reality is harsh when the suitors are less than tolerable in nature or simply not interested. There is a part of me that relates to Sarah Morgan. There is also a part of me that believes she despised her status as that of being validated or nullified by a man, in this Southern culture, that is a double-edged sword. Then again, maybe I am projecting my own internal struggle on to Sarah Morgan.

Regardless of validation in the eyes of society, women, knowingly or not, desire affirmation from other women. Simply, women empower and influence other women more than men do; at least this is true in my own life. Yet, the empowering drive is sometimes offset by an innate competitive nature and sometimes the competition is with oneself. Even in Sarah Morgan’s  diary we see an example of this. On page 405, Sarah and her sister Anna are engaged in conversation about Mr. Gwynn, and Anna let’s on that she is interested. Sarah then “picked him to pieces” and Anna suddenly claims that she never did like him. I find this particular funny, because women still do this; or at least I know I do. There is something to be said about the approval from other women for any choice that is made. While there is the understanding of the male-female sexual relationship and societal connections, sometimes, women desire the intimate compatibility with other women, rather than men.

Society has forced women to have it all: booming career, sparkling house, fit body, a soccer mom schedule, and perfect kids, all while having a well-balanced dinner on the table promptly at 6 p.m. Often times; women are forced to choose between being a homemaker or a career woman. Can the two be equally successful? Sure, but I do believe the homemaker is often in danger of losing herself.

In some circles, I feel that if I had at least one divorce under my belt then I would be more validated and accepted in this southern culture. With a divorce, at least I would be seen as good-enough to be someone’s wife at some point in time. This daring idea that I pursue another goal that requires commitment and does not take from me, but rather molds me is baffling to some. The South is undoubtedly big on repressing women. The idea of a woman becoming educated and advanced is seen as “turn-off” rather than a “turn-on” for a man, for an educated woman is seen as a threat to a man’s “manliness.” The mindset then becomes two sided and a form of imprisonment for any woman, resulting in women who believe they still need a man to be validated or to even be seen as a woman.

Just a few months ago, I ran into a woman I had not seen in a few years. Instead of a productive conversation and catching up, she made snide remarks about my not being married yet. I was so taken aback by her attitude about my singleness that I just could not continue in a conversation with her; instead, I angrily posted about it on Facebook (a modern day journal entry for an audience). The responses I received definitely proved that I am not alone in believing that this mindset still exists in the south today.

            Womanhood is achieved through experience and it is a process. Womanhood is not achieved by a man. My womanly worth should not be equated with my female anatomy just like my backbone or voice should not be compared to the male anatomy. Do not misunderstand my stance; there are plenty of things I love about the South. What roots I have are found here, in the South. I also will say that the social ideals in this response essay are probably not just unique in the South, but definitely more dominant here.

          So, what does success look like for Southern women? For Sarah Morgan, just maybe it is her world, as shallow as it seems, living on in her diary. Even though, with that statement I am reminded of her own words on page 407, “Well, well! It is not fair to judge her by my ideas.” For me, success is knowing who I am, what I want out of life, and going after the flirtatious moon. Success is happiness, regardless if a woman takes on a man’s last name or not. I am a woman and my value is so much more than my anatomy. Sarah Morgan’s own words sum it up, “I am only a woman, and that is the way I feel.”
*This is a paper I wrote for my Women Writing in War class last semester.*

Comments

Alice Head said…
AWESOME!!! You knocked it out of the park yet once again.
Jones said…
She does this quite a bit in class!

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana