A Teacher's Prayer

As I have been preparing for the beginning of a new school year, a new school year where I am the teacher from day one I might add, I have been pondering: why is this so stressful? 
I am a teacher and society believes I only work 9 months out of the year for roughly 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday. Some of us know what a far cry from reality that this is. However, that's another blog. Yes, I have had the past 6 weeks off for summer and I have traveled and had a blast. But, there were conferences, trainings, workshops, etc.  All in preparation for the upcoming school year. 

So, my job picks up in a few days when I have students with me again. Why is this so stressful? Other people work 12 months out of the year and I have done that, but I never felt this kind of stress.  My only analogy I have here is that the beginning of a school year is like being given a newborn baby. You are given this baby and you only have 9 months to teach this child everything there is to know about life. Nine months to help this child grow and mature into a better person. Nine months to help this child understand the world around them while meeting all of these standards. Nine months.

This baby comes with every need under the sun and you are criticized for asking for any kind of supply to help you meet the child's need. You are constantly criticized for "time off.” Your time away from this baby is spent tracking data, reflecting, considering a way to better meet needs, worrying about the child, wondering about the child, praying for the child, and grading the child.

Nine months to get this child ready for the next phase of life, while dealing with whatever outside life throws at you and them. You are responsible for molding a better person, a productive and successful member of society. You are helping mold the future. You have precious months with this child and you want to make the most of every minute.

That, my friends, is why this time of the year is so stressful for teachers.

So, here’s my prayer for this upcoming school year:

Lord, as the hustle and bustle of the school year kicks it up a notch and as data teams, PLCs, SLTs, scores, walk-throughs, observations, etc., make me want to pull my hair out, gently remind me why I am in the classroom. 
I am there for the kids. 
I am there to help mold these kids into better people. 
I am there to be your Salt and Light. 
Remind me of this, especially on the worst of days when my patience is gone; when my frustration with the powers at be overshadows my heart for these kids.
Remind me that I may be the only smile, encouraging word, or Bible they ever see.
Remind me of the grace and mercy that You've shown me, so that I can extend the same to these students.
Open their minds and hearts to learning, and give me the wisdom to teach.
Open my mind and heart to learning, and lace my tongue with Your love, grace, and mercy.
Let my patience not grow weary and my eyes be kind.

Amen.

Comments

Aphra Bolyer said…
Amen! It is truly a calling, and those who are not called do not understand.

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

Big Girl in a Big City: Day Three, Night Four