THIS. THIS is why I teach

Let me brag on my kids:

Earlier this school year, my AP kids read "Blessed is the Full Plate"
This was meant as a short article to really analyze for  rhetorical appeals, etc. However, what happened was not on my lesson plan, nor was it expected. 

The kids read and analyzed this article, which I highly encourage you to read (link above). The discussion that happened made my heart leap. 

Things such as: 
"Why don't churches feed more hungry people?"
 "Isn't that what Jesus/faith is about?" 
"Don't we have homeless here?" 
"Can we do something to reach out to them?" 
"Ms. Normand, what can we do??" 

THIS. THIS is why I teach. 

I sat and swallowed tears of pride and joy as my kids wanted to take action in their own community. 

THIS. THIS is why I teach. 

No. This growth won't be on a data wall in a data room where the show is. No. This doesn't meet any CCSS, GLE, or the next set of standards that's headed our way. No. It won't get them a "good" or "excellent" on an EOC. And it won't help me meet my SLT.

But, it did something in the hearts of the kids who participated. It met the need of the poor. It changed my kids---it changed me--- for the better. I saw kids, some who don't have a lot, some who have plenty, and some who don't have the ideal home conditions, come together to reach out to those who have been stricken with poverty and homelessness. I saw them follow where their ideas lead. I saw them take action. I saw them get a little emotional. 

THIS. THIS is why I teach. 

You see. These kids ran with something that moved them. They rallied together to donate blankets, socks, gloves, coats, and (put together) over 30 outreach kits, all with new fleece blankets to the Cenla Homeless Coalition, and donate time to the Food Bank. If I've ever been a learner in my own classroom, it has definitely been during this. My kids make me want to be a better person.

They read. 
They were inspired. 
They acted. 

THIS. THIS is why I teach. 

“If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD — and he will repay you!”
Proverbs 19:17 NLT


"Thank you, Ms. Normand, for letting us really do something. We don't always get to follow through with our ideas but you made it happen." 

No kids, thank YOU! I am so blessed to learn from each of you, and sometimes maybe you learn from me. 

Until next time, dearies!





Comments

Jodi said…
I love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

Big Girl in a Big City: Day Three, Night Four