Another Send Off 2016

Class of 2016---
   I observed you during your freshmen year and as fate would have it, you were my first set of students when it was my name on the door. It seems like yesterday that the bell rang, and my flu-stricken self offered your guarded selves a smile, however, here we are at your send off into the big world. 

  We are probably closer than we should be because we've spent the last three years together. You've seen me at my worst and I've seen you at your best--this far. 

   As the school year is winding down, quickly, I think back to our first day together. We stared at each other as if each of us had two or more heads, wondering just how this was going to work...or supposed to work. You wondered if I would really last, for you had been abandoned so much that year. I wondered if I was going to last or if I had chosen the right career. Some days were rough, we all know this. And sometimes the lesson flopped, but then sometimes it soared better that I could have ever dreamed because of you. In our time together, you taught me so much. You taught me to laugh at myself and with you. You taught me to be even more flexible. You taught me that I have a crazy eye and need to be more stern at times. You taught me that my heart has room for each of you in it. You taught me what it really is to worry. You taught me what grief really is. You taught me what it really is to laugh. You taught me things that I wish I never learned. You taught me how to be a better person. But, most importantly, you taught me that I am right where I need to be as a teacher. You confirmed that I chose the right career. 

  I sat in awe watching each of you today at Bree's final resting place. I watching as walls fell down and she brought you all together. I choked back my tears and laughed at the precious memories and was thankful you all wanted me to be apart of the sweet time at her graveside today. 

   I cannot imagine teaching and not seeing your faces. But more than that, I cannot find the words to tell you how proud of each of you I am. 

   It hasn't all been fun--I mean my definition of fun is different than yours, as you reminded me with each project I assigned--but it's all been precious and worth it. 

   Take a moment to relish in the fact that you will never be the same person that you are now. You will never be in this place physically, emotionally, or intellectually as you are now, again. 

   When I tell the story of my life, you'll be there--a big part of it. You're a big part of who I am now. As I handed each of you those cards, I handed each of you a piece of my heart. So, go out into the world and know that I will always be with you as you will be with me.
 
    There's something to be said about the view from where you stand. So, take it in--for once it's gone, it's just a memory. 

   But please don't---don't get so caught up in the emotion of moving on that you forget to look forward and relish in what is to come. 

    So, before you leap---take one last evaluation---one last look around---one last breath of this now---resolve to be happy and content and then leap... And spread your wings! 

  Congratulations, Class of 2016! Job well done. Now, go out and change the world, but please be safe and be smart while doing it! 
      I love each of you dearly!

                                Love, Fe



Comments

Anonymous said…
I love you, Miss Normand. --CG
Anonymous said…
Well said Faith! I share many of the same sentiments. It brought tears to my eyes so run and get an oil can because the robot is crying!!! I love you girl and am so proud and blessed to call you friend! And I am extremely honored and blessed to have been part of the lives of the Class of 2016!--K.DIAZ

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

What I’m Loving Wednesday