And The Thunder Rolls....

I came home from work today still fighting a headache. There was a thunderstorm brewing outside and the house was quiet. I took the opportunity to crawl into bed with Alex, my dog, and flipped on the TV. Of course, there was nothing that interesting on and I had seen the NCIS that was playing about five times. I flipped the TV off. I allowed myself to just listen to the outside. I heard the rain’s melody as it sloshed in the puddles outside my window. I listened to the quiet harmony the trees chimed as they bowed with the wind and as the thunder let out its bass of beat, I smiled. Nature was indeed singing its praise to Him. I listened intently for a while and soon my head started to feel better, as if the chorus outside had washed my headache away.
However, my dear friends, who dare to click on any of my blogs, ranting, or whatever you call these, we all know that my thoughts went away with me. Each boom of thunder and every flash of lightning caused Zorro, “the other dog”, to start barking and panting which then Alex felt the need to put her two cents in. You see, Zorro is a special dog. (ha-ha) He has a very sweet disposition, very laid back, but very and I mean very scared of the dark and storms. So, I knew his barks were out of fear while Alex, her’s were just to let her voice be heard. Zorro would pace the floor with no purpose but to keep moving and he never accomplished anything. Alex would just watch him, get bored and sleep. I like to pretend that I know what my dogs are thinking. Zorro frantically paces the length of the room, looking out each window and then look back at me then back out the window then back at me. This continued until the storm calmed down, just like it does every time. Every time he would look at me with his wide brown eyes it was as if he was saying “Why aren’t you doing anything??? Do you see this??? Do you see what is happening?? Why are you just sitting there?? DO something!!“ Then he would go back to pacing, a vicious cycle.
However, I had to chuckle because I found myself relating to this “precious” dog. In life’s storms I pace, in my heart and head at least. I look “out the window” at the circumstance and say to God, “Why aren’t you doing anything?? Do you see this?? Do you see what is happening?? Why are you just sitting there?? Do something!!” I work myself up because I see these unbelievable conditions, these winds and floods of all sorts that life throws at us and it seems like God is just sitting there. I worry and fret. I pace and look to him and just can’t believe “He is just sitting there” as these storms keep rolling in.
So, what is it that Zorro gets to scared of in these storms? The unknown? He doesn’t understand that without these winds and rains, crops would never grow. They would be dead. The dog has no cognitive ability to rationalize these rains are needed for growth, just like I lack the ability to see life’s storms the same way. Without these “circumstances” we label as life’s storms we would never grow, I would never grow. I would stagnate and die, spiritually. I hope to be more like “Alex”, the dog that got bored with watching Zorro pace and be frantic, so she rested peacefully by my side. I hope to rest peacefully by His side in these circumstances, that I see as unbearable storms.

"Be merciful to me, O God, Be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your Wings I will take my refuge, until these calamities have passed by." Psalm 57:1

Comments

Unknown said…
You are a beautiful writer!!! I'm so excited that it'a functioning blog now! :)
Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

My Grandpa

Blogging Off The Weight & More

Lovin' My Louisiana