Blessed Are Those Who Mourn...

A friend of mine was going through the beattitudes with his church a few months ago and asked if I would pray about writing something on the "Blessed are those who mourn..." verse. It may seem jumbled but for whatever reason this was brought back to my mind this week and I thought I would share.


Matthew 5:4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. (the Message)

Matthew 5:4Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. (KJV)


In today’s technology we would never fathom the thought of a hurricane striking land as a surprise. We are far too advanced for that nonsense. We usually have a couple of weeks to prepare ourselves for the hurricanes that brew in the warm seas off the African Coast and make their way to us. We rely on batteries, water and spam to survive for however long we need. What if, bear with me here, what if one hurricane season we did not break out our hurricane tracking map and we didn’t calculate where “the big one” was going to land?? Could we stand the anticipation? Could we trust with a child like faith that God would provide our needs? Please don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of all of our weather technology infact, if you look at my phone you will see I have a couple of apps for such. I just want you to think about your life and your life’s hurricane tracking map. I don’t know about you but my tracker is usually way off track. For almost three years, I have been living on some rocky seas and just when I thought I could not take any more another hurricane struck, with no warning. Times were dark and I could only see the storm, and how everything was going wrong and falling apart. The past three years have been filled heartache, death, alcohol, betrayal, financial crisis, rapes, arrests and destruction; yet when I turn to the Word I am told in Matthew 5:4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you. (the Message) or Matthew 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. (KJV). Really?? THAT’S when I am blessed? When its my darkest hour and my weakest moment? When the pain is literally too much to even breathe…THAT is when I promised that I am blessed?!?!

When I look back over the last three years of these storms, I only see God’s hand. While in the storm I can wallow and play the woe is me card or I can rise to the occasion, trusting that He holds me in His hand as the wind howls and the waters rise. I can honestly say I only see Him…in all the bad…in all the heartache…in all the darkness I can see Him. Today I do count it all a blessing that I was chosen for such a course, sure I daily battle with daring to ask “why??” or “but why can’t my life be easy like hers?” but then I am reminded of the question “Why NOT me?” If this is what it takes for me to worship Him utterly and fully; to abandon all sense and reason for Him; to KNOW HIM and I mean KNOW HIM…then “Bring on the Rain.” If this path will touch the life of just one person for His Glory, I count it all joy…So yes, “Blessed ARE those who mourn” for I know who holds me. The Creator of all creation who hung the moon and placed the stars in motion; who knows the number of hairs on my head; HE holds me. He comforts my pain like no other.

I encourage you, no matter what you are going through, count it a blessing that God has chosen you “for just a time as this”…you never know what good will come out of the storm and you may never know until Heaven…and maybe someone will be in heaven because of how you allowed God to walk you through the storm.

Comments

Jodi said…
How do you do it? Seriously, you have a gift. One day, you will be another Beth Moore, and you be speaking to thousands. I'll say it again...you are such an inspiration to me. And a bunch of other people. I love you.
And blessed are those who read your blog. Really.
Unknown said…
Ditto. Beautiful words, Faith. Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

No Day But Today!