Lovin' My Louisiana



Let's face it, Louisiana gets a bad rap most of the time. Sure, we may not have it all together but show me a state that does. Having grown up in Louisiana, I may be a little partial. While I love to visit other states and every now and then I toss the idea of living elsewhere, my heart always comes back to my Louisiana and why I love her so. I could not imagine living elsewhere when football season rolled around, or even the ungodly summer heat, I think I would miss it... Ok!  maybe I wouldn't miss that as much as I would the song of a Louisiana summer night. 

All this talk about my Louisiana made me want to write the things that I really love and appreciate about our state:

I love the croaks and chirps on a hot summer evening, letting us all know nightfall is here. I am thrilled by the dance of the lightning bugs against the blanket of night, and the bright nightlights in the sky above.


If its 65 degrees, you can bet we will have the scarves and sweaters on!
I love that it can storm at my house and not at my friend's house that is only a mile down the road.
I love that after a one hour drive in any direction and one will hear a different accent with a whole new culture.


I love how offended and defensive we become over our football teams (maybe this one just applies to me)!
I love that our seasons are hunting, crawfish,  snocones & water, and football!
I love that weddings and showers are scheduled around football games and hunting season.
And we all know how everything revolves around food and who's bringin what!



I love the terrain. I love the stories of an old oak tree and the stagnant swampy waters that hold cypress knees. I love the distant splash of a gator tail and seeing their big eyes creep above the water. I love the gentle sway of the weeping willow and the song of the birds in the sky.

I love a big glass of ice tea on a front porch swing, and the snap of beans in that big silver bowl. I love the muggy slowness of the evening and the dew kissed mornings. 

I love that God feels closer.

I love that you have to turn your radio up louder to drown out the bad roads.
I love that we have parishes and not counties and I love that we are set apart.

Do I always love how Hollywood portrays my Louisiana and her people? Absolutely not, but how do you grasp such greatness on camera? We don't want the other states to feel inferior.

My Louisiana is rich with culture and full of history, I have discovered only an ounce of her beauty and I encourage you to do the same. This may sound like a plug for travel Louisiana and maybe it is. I just want to proclaim that my favorite boot is the boot of Louisiana. From Shreveport to New Orleans and everything in between, there's always a party going on and always some good ole southern charm.

Comments

Jodi said…
I think you should send this to a tourist company that promotes Louisiana and see if they can use it! Maybe even pay you for it!
I whole-heartedly agree. Every time I travel to another state, I find myself comparing it to my beloved Louisiana. I wouldn't want to be from anywhere else. That would just be boring!!
I agree. Louisiana, especially it's food, landscape & people have and will always have a special place in my heart and while I love the adventures the Lord has taken me on... a piece of me longs that familiarity. It's a wonderful, unique place that doesn't get the credit it deserves. It has tremendous history and many mistakes, but it is truly an original- one of a kind. So thankful to call it my home and growing up... I never thought I would be able to say that I was proud to be from Louisiana, but I truly am. Thanks for sharing your feelings about our little Louisiana.
Unknown said…
Thanks Faith - I love it here too! And Jodi is right, send it in!
Love, Gi
Alice Head said…
I love your portrayal Faith, it's so true...I love Louisiana! No matter where I go, and I've been from east to west and north to south, it never fails...I always get that same request "I love your accent, please talk some more" and "where are you from?" and I'm always proud to say "Looziana" (at least that's how I imagine it's spelled with my accent applied to it) LOL ;-)
Amanda Trisler said…
All of my life, I wanted to leave Louisiana. Even as a teenager, I never wanted to stay in LA. God allowed that to happen in 2008, when my family and I moved to Texas. After being here for 4 years, both Colin and I long to move back to Louisiana. We want that familiarity (Drew, I completely understand what you mean). And we both know that it's a GOD thing that is calling us back to Louisiana since we both wanted to leave so badly. Neither of us expected to ever say "I want to go back". It's still a surprise each time we feel the desire to move back to LA. So here's to hoping we can move back soon and enjoy Louisiana the way it should be!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Faith's Fluffy Friday

No Day But Today!