Graduation: Thankful and Bittersweet


If people gave thank you speeches when they received their diplomas, well graduation would be 36 hours long, and mine would be something like this:

And all of the sudden, I don’t know where the last three years went. I don’t know how I ever passed a class for I know nothing. All of the sudden, I don’t want that diploma just yet; for there’s so much I don’t know. It’s scary---reaching a goal that is---because then what---now what?!? I have these wings and they are small, but fierce; and they are desperate to be used, yet drip with fear of the unknown.

·         Thank you to every job for helping me realize what I wanted to do and giving me the courage to go back to school.

·         Thank you, Dad, for cutting out 100 perfect squares for a board game for Ed. Psych.

·         Thank you Mandy K., for letting me use your words, kids, and Cenla DSA for writing topics in journalism.

·         Thank you, Erika, for really being able to appreciate the A’s on Ourdes’ tests

·         Thank you, Leann, for getting me through Spanish I and for helping me see the campus from another point of view---OH and for helping me laugh at all that “boy” drama. ;)

·         Thank the Good Lord, that Alecia was crazy enough to take education classes at the same time---Thank you Alecia for all-nighters, education crack, lemon drops, bonfires, and most of all, for encouraging me when my spirit was crushed by the…well, you know. ;)

·         Thank you, Laina, oh the sweet-spirited Laina, for always knowing the right thing to say and for the laughs in water aerobics.

·         Thank you, Dana, for dealing with the craziness of the scripted lesson plans and for leaving your aura in your Rapides High room.

·         Thank you, Mr. Neal,  for giving me the opportunity to teach with you, my old high school teacher---and for having my back.

·         Thank you, Aphra, for everything! There really are not enough words to express the gratitude in my heart for all of the things you taught me---and for expanding my wardrobe.

·         Thank you, PHS Class of 2014, for the laughs, the tears, and the lessons of life both inside and outside of the classroom.

·         Thank you, to all of my professors at LSU-A, for challenging me and pushing me to reach my goal. Without your passion and heart, I would not be walking across the stage to receive my diploma.

·         Thank you, Dr. Jones, for allowing me to pour my heart out and for the moon. I hope that one day, I am half the teacher—the academic mother—that you are to me.

·         Thank you, Mom, Dad, and Hannah, for the unlimited amount of support; the push to finish; and the laughter to get me through the tears.

·         Thank you, Brandon Goyne, for getting me through my last math class at LSU-A. Thank you for your smile that just the memory of brightens my day. Thank you for being my protective little brother. You definitely left this world too soon, but you will forever be with me.

·         Thank you to the slough of other friends, family, and classmates for the unending support and challenging me to better than I was the previous day.

Not quite 36 hours, but I could go on for days with thank you’s. My cup runs over with the blessing of being surrounded by amazing people!

It’s a bittersweet moment---the closing of this chapter to start another.  For three years, I have walked through torrential downpours, blazing sunrays, and snow flurries—okay, it was like 2 flakes...okay, it was probably dust—to get this degree. For three years, I have cried, laughed, and sweated over papers, citations, lesson plans, and projects. For three years, I have been surrounded by some of the smartest and greatest people in the area. And now, I take the torch of education from all of those who have ever taught me, and I try, as feeble as it may be, to teach the upcoming generations.

 So, watch me as I test out these wings---I’m not sure where they will take me, but I am sure there will be many more journeys full of lessons.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

No Day But Today!