Louisiana Saturday Night Ramble

Earlier I blogged about purchasing two new books, one of which was The Secret Life of Bees. I since then, have finished reading it and have yet to share my opinion. (Because I know you all have been dying to know my opinion so you could decide whether you were going to read the book or not.) I have not seen the movie and just read the book well because I had a friend tell me it was good. Whilst I would agree the book is good, I have read better. It has all of the needed literary aspects to be read in classrooms however, the self discovery and empowering of a 14 year old girl, did not so much appeal to me. The story of the racial boundaries being crossed was much more interesting to me. It is a feminist book and I have nothing against that; however these feminist books cause a war within myself. There’s my conservative self that’s very submissive that strives for Proverbs 31 then there’s that other part of me that wants to burn my bra and protest at the local mechanic shops where I am treated as a “dumb broad”. I think perhaps I would have liked the book more if I read it in a classroom and there were discussions had; or if I were in a book club and this was the book of the month.

OH!! Speaking of book club, wouldn’t that be fabulous! I have always wanted to be apart of one or start my own; but I’m always afraid that we would pick books I hate or someone else hated. So, I never had. Maybe I will anyway….I wonder who would join?? Would there be dues? Nah, we could get together one night a month and discuss books over tea and crumpets (what is a crumpet??)….or a nice beverage and something delightful, OH cupcakes!! Have any of you had the cupcakes “Little Cakes with BIG Attitude”? Let me tell you, they are by far the best thing you will ever put in your mouth! I should blog about them and give them free publicity to my handful of readers! (hahaha)

Since I know you are wondering what is going on in my life I will let you know! Tonight, I have a sick dog. Yeah, I know, I lead a glamorous life. She has an upset stomach or stomach bug and let me just say, trying to get a dog to take some Pepto is an adventure to say the least!! I pray we sleep all night tonight! I feel so lame because usually it’s a young mother saying this……..and I’m blogging about my dog…..on a Saturday night………OK! On a much less depressing note, I am going on a little getaway this coming weekend….alone and I am very exciting about THAT! No worries, you will all be with me in spirit and can totally read about it when I return. Then the next week, what will I be doing you ask??? Oh just filming a movie, that’s all! (HA!) I was cast as an extra in a movie they are filming in Shreveport and I am so anticipating an off the charts life experience that its not even funny! I just can not WAIT to tell you guys all about it, well the parts I can tell anyways! (HAHAHA!!) Well, I think that pretty much does it for this Louisiana Saturday Night Ramble. I will let you all get back to your much more exciting lives!

Comments

Jodi said…
Sounds like my Saturday night!!! Except, I dyed my hair.
TracyBlalock said…
I would love to join a book club...let me know when you get it going. Also, what movie are you an extra in...NOT True Blood...please tell me it's not True Blood. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

Big Girl in a Big City: Day Three, Night Four