A Swamp Retreat

The following is my blog that was requested by a few friends of my adventures Friday and Saturday! Hope you enjoy! I included a few pictures to break up the wordiness!

Today, I retreated. It had been planned for a couple of weeks and way overdue. I almost canceled but I am glad I didn’t. I packed up books, journals and my Bible and I am now in the Magnolia Cabin at Prayer Lake in Lettsworth, LA. Peaceful. There’s a swamp on the grounds here and it is absolutely beautiful and somewhat spooky because I swear there’s a creeper alligator out there looking at my ham hocks thinking what a great dinner I would be for him.

On the way here, I had to buy a hammer. I have a plate breaking project I am working on while I am here, some of you know about it and all of you can read about it later either on here or in my book! (HA!) You think I am kidding. Anyway, I meant to bring a hammer from home but forgot so I stopped in Marksville at the local Wal-mart and bought a hammer. For some reason, as I picture ME buying a hammer, I laugh hysterically (probably I was secretly hoping they had a pink one and was disappointed when they didn‘t). I was my bubbly self walking through Wal-mart with this hammer and I kept getting weird looks! In my mind, I pictured these people thinking that I was some crazy woman with this $5.86 hammer and how you should have to have a permit to buy a hammer. As I thought this, I chuckled to myself in Wal-mart and got even more weird looks. It was great because I just know someone is telling someone about the crazy laughing girl with a hammer!

Looking from my front porch there were always AT LEAST three butterflies "playing" in the flowers!



When I arrived here at Prayer Lake, the lady that checked me in and owns the place, hugged me. I don’t know why this fact is blog worthy but it was unexpected. She seemed genuinely happy I was here and hugged me and encouraged me to “Go and Enjoy the Presence of God.” She also told me the history of the cabin where I am staying. It used to be where her milking shed, for her cow. I think the whole checking in process today was a little odd for me, oh well! I am now going back to the swamp to see if I can get a picture of that creepy gator!

Swamps Entry



So, I’m back from the evening swamp adventure and I am here to report that I saw three baby alligators, they were too quick jumping into the water so I didn’t get a picture. Then I remembered that snakes also live in swamps, not just the cool gators!! I composed myself and still went on my way, swatting at bugs and swearing that one had actually landed IN my ear, but then I heard a BIG splash, and since I had just seen three baby gators….and its around 6 in the evening when I usually like to eat dinner…I decided to make my way back to my cabin, all the while thanking God that I was not born in the times of Lewis and Clark or Christopher Columbus!! Lesson to Share: bring bug spray in the swamp!! Especially in the evening. Oh and boots and pants might be better than flip flops and shorts! Just some minor things I would like to pass along for any of you who are still reading this………………….

This is me in the swamp! HA!


Absolutely Gorgeous!





Hours Later: I broke my plates with my hammer, it was hilariously liberating and can not wait to be able to share more about this!! Currently I am running some bath water complete with complimentary lavender & chamomile bubbles, however, this might be an all night event as the water is taking forever to fill up the deep and large tub! I am currently listening to ADELE sing over the running water, if you have not let her seduce your eardrums, you must! I’ve been hooked more lately, maybe because there’s something about her voice or lyrics that reminds me of autumn and I am so ready for some Autumn like weather and leaves changing and pumpkin carving! YES! I am too ready for LSU and Saints football and Gumbo with the family! And now aren’t you? ;) Ok, I am going to check on this water situation.

The Slow Filling Tub!


So, now I am so fresh and so clean clean and I must say, that slow filling bath was totally worth the wait!! It’s almost 10pm and I am writing away, not just on this, but on another project. There’s no cable here but there is a TV with DVD player and since I am spoiled to watching TV before I fell asleep I brought three movies. You will love these choices!! I brought Cinderella, the one with Brandy and Whitney Houston! I absolutely love this version I know every lyric to every song and therefore I might end up singing them all rather than falling asleep!! Next I brought Titanic. (Shameful? Maybe) However, in my defense I have only watched this film once and that was in the cold theater when it came out in 1997 and I was 12! So, I think I could watch this now as an adult with a whole new appreciation and it not be so shameful. Speaking of shameful this brings me to my third and final choice, yes you guessed it, Twilight, which I have seen numerous times and read all the books. (don’t you dare judge me!!) I think I might watch the tale of Jack and Rose, wonder if it will depress me? We’ll see!

Good Morning! Well, actually to you this is just one annoyingly long blog that is if I still have your attention! I started Titanic last night and honestly it was like watching it for the first time but I still only got about forty five minutes into it before I fell asleep. One thing I did forget was just how pretty the background music is. Anyway, that’s that, and it’s the day I leave this peaceful cabin. I am pretty sure I will be back one day, hopefully sooner than not, it is absolutely peaceful out here! I have been able to do a lot of writing some of which I can not WAIT to share with you! So, with that I will leave you to get back to your lives as I pick up “my pieces” and get on my way. Until next time, friends!

Comments

First, you did not mention a "soaking" tub in your accommodations- you just mentioned some "cabin." So glad you were able to spend some time retreating and refreshing. Hope it went well. Next refresh trip will be to visit us in Tennessee.
Jodi said…
You'll have to share more about it with me. I tried going to the website, but it wouldn't let me. And I must here more of this plate breaking episode.
TracyBlalock said…
How in the world do you find these places? I would love to go retreating. You made it seems so far,far away. I'm glad you got to unwind and relax. You deserve it! Thanks for sharing your time with me.
I love it when you blog. It's like a tiny little trip into your mind. I really enjoyed spending Sunday afternoon with you and Hannah Normand. I laughed so much reading about your love of fall colors and thinking about how they make Hannah N anxious and angry! makes me want to run out and decorate!
Amanda T said…
WOW! You definitely have me wanting to visit this place - and I'm far from a swamp retreating type girl.
Unknown said…
I agree with Mandy...it's like a delightful trip into the mind of FeFe!! :) Can't wait to see you!
I want to hear ALL about your movie, and we must discuss that fact that CELINE is PROCREATING again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Love you!
Shanna said…
I am glad it was a liberating experience with the plates. One day for lunch, I think I iwll take you up on your offer to come with me to choose mine. I need to let go! *side note* Glad you didn't get pulled into the swamp by a gator! HAHA!

Popular posts from this blog

Lovin' My Louisiana

Faith's Fluffy Friday

Big Girl in a Big City: Day Three, Night Four